Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Post 10 - ANTIWAR

 ANTIWAR - https://www.antiwar.com/


ANTIWAR is a news site that publicizes articles pertaining to ongoing global conflicts. The site has particularly good coverage of the ongoing war between Israel and Palestine. However, general coverage is not what gives the site its name. In addition to the simple coverage articles, ANTIWAR contains opinion pieces which voice the negative impacts of war, especially of the United States' simultaneous involvement in multiple conflicts.

The reason, I believe, that ANTIWAR is hidden by algorithms is because of the volatility of the topics that the site addresses. Speaking against war is (or at least the government would like you to believe it is) a rather unpopular and controversial idea. It would not be a far leap in logic to consider that hiding a site like ANTIWAR would help stop anti-war sentiment to the public, thus allowing the government to maintain involved in various wars.

The American Conservative - 
https://www.theamericanconservative.com/


The American Conservative seems to me like it is simply another far right news platform. The three immediately visible articles on the homepage depict either Joe Biden or the Democrats in a negative light. I can understand this tactic, granted the site's name and values, but what I cannot understand is why the site would be hidden.

My mind immediately jumps again to influencing the masses, as blacklisting a news site purely for its (albeit somewhat radical) views does not scream "freedom of the press."

Conclusion

These sites, along with likely thousands more, are hidden simply for their strong beliefs. I believe the reason search engines like Google do this is to influence the masses' opinions on important issues. The strange part about this blacklisting is that Google is technically allowed to do it. The internet is a strange loophole that our constitution was not written around. With how expression has evolved, I believe some revision is in order to better protect our First Amendment freedoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 11 - Final Post

  My Relationship With Technology Because of both my major and my hobbies, I spend more time than I would like to admit staring at a screen....