Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Post 6 - EOTO 1 React

 The Personal Computer

Why write about it?

Of all of the communication technologies, I feel the personal computer (beyond video games themselves) is the one that has the greatest impact in my field of study. As a game design major, I do a majority of my work on my personal computer, programming in game engines and rendering in modeling programs. It should come as no surprise that I am also writing this blog post on my personal computer. None of this work would be possible without the bulky, glorified word processors of old.

The Origins of the Personal Computer

The oldest computers were massive machines that often took up an entire room. These behemoths were often used exclusively to crunch numbers. With the invention of the microprocessor in 1971 however, computer technology was forever changed. The very same computing power offered by room-sized computers could ow fit on top of a desk. 


In 1976, the very first commercially available computer, the Apple Computer 1, or the Apple 1 for short, was made available to the public. The product was incredibly barebones as no display, protective casing, mouse, or keyboard was included. All a purchaser received was the actual computing components themselves.

The first "real" personal computer, Apple's Macintosh, was released to the public in 1984. I use the word real in quotes, as I believe that the Macintosh is the blueprint for the modern computer. Depicted at the top of this post, the Apple Macintosh featured not only a graphical display, but an external keyboard and mouse.

The Personal Computer Today

Computers have evolved significantly since their conception. They have become more compact, more efficient, and thousands of times stronger than their ancestors. They are also present virtually everywhere in day to day life; in cars, at registers, and in the palm of our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 11 - Final Post

  My Relationship With Technology Because of both my major and my hobbies, I spend more time than I would like to admit staring at a screen....